Thursday, June 30, 2011

The next step in life

College was my safety blanket. It kept me safe from the world. Safe from having to get a real job, with real work and benefits. So, if I decided to take three years off from college, no big deal because I always had the option to go back. I never worried about job stability because I had the, 'I'm a student' card. That way when people asked what I'm doing with my life, I could tell them about my degree and elaborate dreams for the future.


Now the college blanket is done and gone. What do you do when the dreams start fading? Or when you search days in and out for a job with no interviews or job offers to show for it? Or when you don't want to see one more list of qualifications because it feels like you are completely inadequate to even read the job listing? For me, I pray.

I pray because I can. I pray because I know that I have more hope when I am on my knees. I pray because I know God is listening. He may not give me a job right away, but at least I gain a greater perspective.

But now the search is over and the prayers are answered. I am left with a deep nervousness and excitement. You might be wondering why. It's because I landed a job today! No more job searches for me! I am done and done. I'm not sure what I think yet. I hope I am adequately qualified. I hope I will become a necessary asset to the company. 

My optimistic side is saying, "You are going to be awesome, just be sure to read every book in sight about writing and punctuation." My pessimistic side is saying, "You aren't that good at writing. They won't like you or your words." Ekk. I'm sticking with the optimistic side.

Wish me luck because I start tomorrow. :)







1 comment:

  1. Wow, I need this blog so much right now. Make me feel so much better and less nervous. I am about to be kicked out of college in 5 months...I love you! Will always keep you and Sam in my prayer. Love, Elena

    ReplyDelete