Saturday, February 26, 2011

Finding an optimistic example

My blog is called optimistic living, right. So, I should probably make it a goal to find examples of people who truly live optimistically.


Let me introduce you to Clayton Christensen. I wish I could describe to you how great he is. The more I learn about him the more impressed I become. What impressed me was, his character, stamina and vision as I read an article from from the Forbes magazine and also a paper he wrote


He is a forward thinker. He doesn't just look at what is happening in the moment, he looks at how the moments will affect the future. He is also an appreciator of the small joys in life.



To give insight into his optimism, I want to share something from a paper he wrote called "How Will You Measure Your Life." He talks about the vision needed to be a good manager. One example he shared stood out to me. 


And I quote, "In my mind's eye I saw one of my managers leave for work on e morning with a relatively strong level of self-esteem. Then I picture her driving home to her family 10 hours later, feeling unappreciated, frustrated, underutilize, and demeaned. I imagined how profoundly her lowered self-esteem affected the way she interacted with her children. The vision in my mind then fast-forwarded to another day, when she drove home with greater self-esteem – feeling that she had learned a lot, been recognized for achieving valuable things, and played a significant role in the success of some important initiative. I then imagined how positively that affected her as a spouse and a parent."


I love his insight. I appreciate people who care about others. Those who are willing to make other's lives better are wise. They understand a principle of giving that many of us forget. I feel like optimistic people look beyond themselves in hopes that they can brighten someone's day. 


Christensen's conclusion was that, "Management is the most noble of professions if it's practiced well." That to me applies to everyone. I believe that we all manage something in our life that affects others. That being the case we need to think about the welfare of others and help them rise to a greater potential. By doing so a greater optimism and enthusiasm permeates our lives and naturally makes it's way into others lives.


In my life looking out and helping others gives me greater compassion. As my compassion and love grows my optimism grows.  


Christensen survived a heart attack, stroke, and advanced cancer. He also deals with diabetes on a daily basis. He of all people has a reason to be frustrated with the cards he was dealt in life and yet he finds joy in the small things.

No comments:

Post a Comment